musings index |
1997 Musings Index
November 1997 |
December 1997 |
December 1997 Musings of the Gus
I stop working at Comet when it ceases to exist, and I begin working at home, which is now home to a dog and bird as well as a cat. Also, I reign in my womanizing just a little bit.
back to the top
- 01: think before you cheer - I critique the JEL Journal and muse about the kid who killed a bunch of praying students in Kentucky.
- 02: Rasputin at the book fair - My psychotic brother turned loose for awhile in book heaven.
- 03: praise for Orson - Also, what encryption export restrictions do for my confidence in American governance.
- 04: one bad housemate for another - Matthew hatches a inconsiderate plan to dump Theresa V. off on Deya and me. Also, Jessika calls with news that Shira has died of a heroin overdose.
- 05: indescribable evil - Following Shira's death, the air becomes selfish and mean and I become cynical. I can't even muster the stomach to drink. Also, why emoticons suck.
- 06: Space Party III - I dress up as a bomb and go home with Amy the Goth Girl.
- 07: weak resolution - I decide to stop being promiscuous.
- 08: gentle Brook the giant - About the human trademark of Sal's Pizza.
- 09: anthropic principle - Musings about why mammals have external testicles.
- 10: Morgan rides the Amtrack - He comes into Charlottesville from New Orleans in style, inside a coach instead of on top of a freight.
- 11: Shira the dog - Matthew Hart adopts a stray Siberian husky in his own drunken way.
- 12: shove - Morgan Anarchy shoves an old redneck off a porch while on booze and nuthouse pills. Also, we freebase Dextromethorphan from sucrets.
- 13:Jehu End of the World Party II - We eat tussin freebase, go to an antique store, look at abandoned houses, attend an art opening, and visit the Gathering.
- 14: backups - Jessika goes back up to Philadelphia, and Elly suffers from a failure to backup her hard drive.
- 15: last paycheck - I get my last paycheck from Comet and begin my at-home career.
- 16: ironic - Working at home now, I muse about the whiteness of my friends and my powerlessness to do anything about it.
- 17: headaches - Troubles with a SCSI card, relocation of Comet servers, and Matthew is working so hard he can barely get drunk. Also, something about the high standards of women.
- 18: computer crisis Christ - I save my mother from the original sin of computer problems.
- 19: music we like - The times change, our interests change, and sometimes what's popular and what we like converge.
- 20: The Hidden and the hangover - Recovering from a bad vino hangover, I watch an evocative SciFi Thriller.
- 21: home office - I like my home work environment to be just so. Also, fantasies about girls I rejected.
- 22: I go outside - A dreary day, but I go out for chicken and Deya and I agree to live with a quasi-married couple and their dog.
- 23: the ways of dogs - A miserable day full of crises while a bored Siberian Husky aggravates matters.
- 24: hard drive biology metaphor - A hard drive crash can be used as model for biospheric extinction.
- 25: Christmas is like romance - There's little to prepare you for the joy of romance except childhood Christmas experiences.
- 26: Mad Dog cautionary tale - Jamie, a light weight, drinks it a little too fast. Also, I get kicked out of a party and go home with a girl.
- 27: rowdy visitors - Violence, lust and jealousy in endless feedback in my unfortunate living room.
- 28: Seinfeld moment - You can't eat hotdogs in front of the ladies.
- 29: I buy ginseng - I wonder what jokes were made about me after I left. Also, some snow and sheepish visitors.
- 30: never go home - When I'm never at work, I'm never at home either.
- 31: Blond House New Years - I keep getting involved with novel women at that place.