01: Bald Eagles overhead
- Also, seeing a stage play about Emma Goldman in Woodstock.
02: appearance at the bachelorette party
- Breaking all conventions, the groom-to-be is the stripper at the bachelorette party of the bride to be.
03: still shocking in 2004
- Gretchen attends a Michelle Shocked show in Woodstock.
04: hot Vietnamese essence
- Trench-related foot problems and spicy food.
05: Avett Brothers in Manhattan
- We see an opening act that might be described as 'Nu Bluegrass' and they were amazing.
06: fat is the new poor
- Hangover conversation with my old housemate John.
07: stone house on the Rondout
- Filling in the trench and making a little time for Chinese food.
08: inspection averse
- I try and fail to get my Toyota pickup inspected, and I'm not sure what the inspector's problem was.
09: overheard in the automotive waiting room
- Killing hours at Mavis Discount Tire in Kingston, NY.
10: flea crisis
- I discover a flea on me as Nancy and Ray tell us their bed bug story.
11: void beneath the big stone
- I position a 200 pound piece of bluestone near the top of the steps leading down to the Stick Trail.
12: slam ripping
- A new way to rip a CD.
13: a bear's grey whiskers
- Tivo, a bear, a street in a black Kingston neighborhood, and the final debate.
14: microcosm of the school board
- Dinner and a movie at the Woodstock Film Festival.
15: wheelchair rock hauling
- I discover a new way to get large flat rocks out of the forest.
16: housewarming the House of Stank
- Pre-wedding party, hanging out with a friend's internet match, and appreciating the beauty of surfaces at a formerly stinky stone house.
17: wedding at Bear Mountain
- Forced to exercise my rusty social skills a little.
18: from this to this
- Paying back my happiness debt yet again.
19: with an e and no apostrophe
- Buying a hoe in Rosendale for my slab resurfacing project.
20: gone spectacular
- Still frost-free in late October in the Catskill foothills.
21: Hijo and Novia
- Learning how to hack Tivos and hanging out with Lawyer Peter and his son on the banks of the Rondout.
22: $179 drum
- Trouble with a missing part on a Brother laser printer. Also, a little about Mujer de Madera.
23: discovering November tomatoes
- Working on the slab and finding volunteers in the compost pile.
24: not the fourteenth century
- Working and listening to This American Life.
25: thinking of meat
- Meat advertising and a man's daily steak makes me ponder conditions in a hypothetical Nazi-controlled Europe in the 1970s.
26: fossilizing pine needles
- My fingers are too injured to pluck the needles out of the wet concrete as fast as they rain down.
27: slab finished
- Also, musing on the potential for fights at polling places.
28: Tivo successfully hacked
- Also, musing about what exactly God has been doing since creating the world in six days.
29: geopolitical Jujitsu
- Osama bin Laden's October surprise and how it is consistent with his fiendishly clever strategy to destroy the United States of America.
30: East Village, 2004
- I show a friend around New York City.
31: Central Park in Indian Summer
- One of the last beautiful days of the year.