01: eating in a cloud of incense
- Dinner experience at Organico, Montezuma, Costa Rica.
02: sunset at Santa Teresa
- On the west side of the Nicoya Peninsula.
03: gallo pinto in Santa Teresa
- Also: a health food store in a beach town in Costa Rica.
04: photos and grumbling
- What it's like working on a terrible project remotely in the tropics.
05: Costa Rican turtlehounds
- Attending a release of bay sea turtles just northeast of Montezuma.
06: trogon sees me naked
- I look up from my shower and see a beautiful tropical bird. Also: rewatching Office Space.
07: not a good wild banana
- I make the mistake of trying to eat a banana from the banana tree near the pool.
08: don't overplan my beach vacation
- In the redacted section I actually compare my life to that of a man who annihilated his family.
09: not taking the ferry to Jaco
- And yes, I do get bored.
10: back across a choppy gulf
- Having seen a sloth and a nightjar, Gretchen returns across waves stirred up in the night.
11: second-hand experiences
- I don't necessarily want to know what the neighbors are up to, but I do.
12: wildlife distractions
- It's hard to solve tricky tech problems when monkeys keep showing up.
13: Montezuma River gorge
- Gretchen shows me the rough terrain a little south of our casita.
14: Costa Rican Valentine's Day
- Where we found this year's most important pizza dinner.
15: penis versus camera
- A poolside mishap. Also, I look up from the pool and see an albino bat hanging from the ceiling again.
16: Samara Beach
- Driving diagonally across the Nicoya Peninsula to celebrate my 51st birthday.
17: the demand for auto repair on the Nicoya Peninsula
- And how we averted a minor tragedy.
18: ungrateful wasp
- Another poolside mishap. And a kleptomaniac terrorizes a language school.
19: landlording from afar and new snacks to try
- Electrical problems at Brewster Street. And something for the low-carb vegan in your life.
20: makeshift reservoir
- Plastic pipes along the lower Montezuma River gorge carry pressurized water. Also, a skin-eating wasp.
21: Montezuma mafia
- How a dusty village outside the reach of the law runs itself.
22: parrots and toucans
- A spectacular day of birds, coatimundis and Wanda the Albino Bat.
23: Kyle the painting contractor
- We meet another of Andy's students. Also, we visit the biggest of the Montezuma River's waterfalls.
24: how we saw the Playa Naranja ferry
- Getting back to mainland Costa Rica from the Nicoya Peninsula.
25: maybe I don't like dark roast
- Touring a coffee plantation and flying back home.
26: 911 not called
- Following a swerving car home.
27: wooed over a burrito
- Starting to feel good about my job after months spent working on a hellish project.
28: like a goatse joke
- The new Mercy For Animals logo.