01: Esopus on and off
- At the secret spot with a former prisoner and scholar.
02: unwilling to undertake ordinary prehensile tasks
- It turns out the woodshed holds about three cords.
03: not all party bulbs are awesome
- For example, the $5 one at Home Depot is not.
04: 44 cents less profit
- Lowes sends me a letter containing a receipt for an ecommerce refund.
05: why is there no AAAA?
- But the USA is AA!
06: biking a close for an evening
- What I did when I had no car and wanted to go home after eight hours of socializing.
07: paint dries extra-slowly
- A humid day and my father is not doing well down in Virginia.
08: clouds of gypsum dust
- Cutting into jack studs to make a hole for a properly-orthogonal door.
09: hanging a door in the humidity
- It's actually the best conditions for door hanging.
10: IDE reflexes
- It's best when the conscious mind can be fully-devoted to a job, not getting around in that job.
11: bluestone and cellulosic resources
- Why a nearby strip of woods has come to resemble a tidy parkland.
12: preparing for a week in the freezer
- Winding down projects before another trip to Virginia.
13: pro-ugliness propaganda
- The signs Virginia posts at its political boundaries.
14: IPAs at the Baja Bean
- I didn't expect Mexican food to go so good with an port-like IPA.
15: seasonal wireless
- Vegetation renders local wireless devices inoperable. Also, getting a printout of my Dad's successful medicinal cocktail.
16: coyotes: that's native American
- I hear a commotion I never heard when I was a kid. It's new, it's native, and it's awesome.
17: valium and screwdrivers
- Also, the great curation of IPAs in Staunton, VA.
18: hours on Beverly Street
- One could do worse while visiting Staunton, Virginia. Also: copulating tortoises.
19: Shenandoah Valley public radio
- Sometimes you don't really want locall-produced content.
20: late-August compost mites
- Also: feedbacking hearing aids, urban deer fawns, and late summer mold spots.
21: one week garden stop action
- Garden watching is not for the impatient, so sometimes a mid-August vacation is in order.
22: telephone circuitry timehole
- It always takes longer than expected to fix telephone troubles.
23: another Jesusquake
- Also: a reality show demonstrates that solitary confinement is torture.
24: pulling the trigger on the floor
- Deciding to get an engineered hickory flooring for our upstairs.
25: appropriately-named Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Gretchen unwitting gave this round of household improvements an apt title.
26: three ladies and three dogs
- Old college friends in their forties get together and hit the town in Woodstock along with three black dogs.
27: Irene approaches
- And some houseguests leave.
28: Irene in Hurley
- Unprecedented rain from an unusually powerful tropical storm.
29: resorting to a generator
- Our refrigerator begins to smell so we borrow a generator. Also: more of Irene's devastation.
30: picked over generator supplies
- Don't go looking for such things at your local big box store in the aftermath of a hurricane.
31: please: use standard connectors on emergency equipment
- Otherwise you're setting people up for injuries as they are forced to improvise around your proprietary nonesense.