Your leaking thatched hut during the restoration of a pre-Enlightenment state.


Hello, my name is Judas Gutenberg and this is my blaag (pronounced as you would the vomit noise "hyroop-bleuach").


decay & ruin
Biosphere II
dead malls
Irving housing

got that wrong

appropriate tech
Arduino μcontrollers
Backwoods Home
Fractal antenna

fun social media stuff

(nobody does!)

Like my brownhouse:
   two kinds of crenelated plywood
Saturday, August 4 2012
Gretchen and Nancy went to some sort of walking tour of Woodstock late this morning, and by the time she got back, she was hot and sweaty and wanted to go for a swim in the Esopus. I'd been doing weekend web development at my workstation, and it didn't take much convincing for me to join her. We left Sally at home; it's too much trouble carrying her from and to the car and worrying about whether she'll overheat or tuck into a delicious diaper full of redneck baby shit.

This evening while Gretchen was out participating in some other social function, I took a little break from my web development to do some more work on my greenhouse upstairs. I'd decided to built out a cantilevered sun box (either for starting seedlings or relaxing cats) in one of the still-unfilled rectangles in the south-facing wall. Today I cut the mitred pieces for the frame of the floor of that box, which has the shape of a rectangle with a smaller rectangle removed from one corner.
But then as I was working on it, perhaps because of low blood sugar, the cantilevered sun box subproject suddenly started feeling overwhelming. So I focused instead on doing some more work to finish the casement for the four window panes I'd bought from that guy in Connecticut. The top casement hinges were all still hanging on long screws whose shafts were protruding 3/8 inches from the top of the rough opening. I still needed to put something into that 3/8 inch space. So this evening I cut seven-inch-wide strips of 3/8 plywood and then cut carefully-measured crenelations into those strips so I could just shove them in atop the hinges (with the screw shafts in each crenelation). I'd been thinking about making and installing these strips for weeks, but I'd been putting it off because it had seemed like there were too many bad things that might happen. Fortunately, though, the strips fit perfectly and provided exactly the support needed for the top hinges.
So then I worked on cutting a different set of crenelated plywood strips, in this case to form an outside skin for the south girder and the inter-rafter space above. The rafters would fit into each crenelation, thereby blocking the space between them and allowing me to seal off the rafter bays. Once they are all sealed off, I could begin installing insulation, a prerequisite for installing the ceiling.

For linking purposes this article's URL is:

previous | next