Monday, September 4 2006
Our houseguest headed back to Brooklyn early this morning, even before the first pot of coffee was made.
I spent most of the day putting a subfloor under the door that allows people to walk from the laundry room out onto the east deck. Since I hadn't actually gotten that door out of the way first, I had to assemble the floor repair patch in stages, pounding it in from the little space I'd opened up in the particle board directly in front of it. I'd drop a piece of tongue and groove flooring into that space, pound it sideways until I couldn't hit it anymore, then drop in another piece and pound it sideways. I used little scraps of flooring as makeshift wedges and pounding surfaces so as to avoid ruining the actual floor being installed. It didn't matter if I banged it up, because it would all be sealed away beneath subsequent layers, but I needed to avoid causing it structural damage.
The entire job took three pieces. The planks were sticking badly on the north side of the door and in the end I had to cut the last plank at an angle. I'd installed so much overbuild load-bearing structure beneath these planks that I didn't really have to do a perfect job. My goals were threefold: seal up the gap in front of the door, provide some support for the door's threshold pan, and fill the 0.75 inch vertical gap between my fancy infrastructure and the load-bearing outside walls on either side of the door (the space left by rotted particle board subfloor I'd removed). Those load-bearing outside walls receive plenty of stress in winter when there is a snow load on the roof, so it was important to get some subfloor in beneath them before winter. The amount of hammering I had to do to get those planks of tongue and groove to grudgingly slide into that space suggested to me that there would be little settling of the wall onto the new subfloor.
For linking purposes this article's URL is:feedback
previous | next