double-articulated lamp completed
Friday, July 26 2013
I stayed up until 3:00am last night working on the double-articulated swing lamp, and that meant that I slept in this morning until 11:30am. Once I got up, I resumed work on the lamp, mostly filing solder off the soldered joints, buffing the surfaces, and then wiring it all together. Usually when I wire together a complex swing lamp or chandelier, I find myself having to run a string through the path the wire will follow (often using the flow of water to help) and then I pull the wire through. This time, though, there were relatively few bends in any of the individual pieces, so I was actually able to simply push the wire through. Once it was wired, I tested for shorts and then glued the two halves of the "humerus" together using JB Weld epoxy (which is probably better for this application than it was for my various attempts at fuel filler pipe repair).
Temperatures were more summerlike today, reaching up into the low 80s, and it was also a bit sunnier than it had been yesterday. It was great to have summer return after even such a brief absence. Still, it was cool enough at night for a warm bath to feel like a good thing. I don't usually bathe two nights in a row, but then again, in the summertime, one doesn't usually get a string of consecutively cool nights.
The complete kit of parts I cut and purchased for this double-articulated lamp, photographed on the laboratory floor. Click to enlarge.
The four units assembled together and soldered, photographed in the driveway. Click to enlarge.
The complete lamp, wired, assembled, and glued, photographed in front of the front door of the house. Click to enlarge.
Another of the finished lamp. Click to enlarge.
For linking purposes this article's URL is:feedback
previous | next