Your leaking thatched hut during the restoration of a pre-Enlightenment state.


Hello, my name is Judas Gutenberg and this is my blaag (pronounced as you would the vomit noise "hyroop-bleuach").


decay & ruin
Biosphere II
dead malls
Irving housing

got that wrong

appropriate tech
Arduino μcontrollers
Backwoods Home
Fractal antenna

fun social media stuff

(nobody does!)

Like my brownhouse:
   Ethiopian food probably wouldn't fly in the hood
Thursday, June 18 2020
I don't know what happened last night, but the yard and driveway was littered with dead deer mice. There were little ones and a big (probably pregnant) one. I'd grab their corpses by their tails and fling them into the bushes, though when she drove somewhere today, Gretchen ran over one of the ones I'd overlooked and it didn't come up quite easily.
At some point the gunfire started up at the bus turnaround, and I didn't feel like dealing with it. So Gretchen eventually drove down there to leave her passive-aggressive note under the shooters' windshield wipers. The car was a Chevy Cruze, not a car I remember a shooter driving. The note worked like a miracle, and the shooter left minutes later.

This evening Gretchen and Powerful made a bunch of Ethiopian wats using various recipes and thawed out a huge mass of injera that had been languishing for well over a year in our freezer. This made for a delicious utensil-free dinner out on the east deck. Unsurprisingly, Powerful had never had Ethiopian food before. He's got an open mind about ethnic foods, but this was perhaps a bit too weird. He ate only about two thirds of his sector of our grand shared plate and commented that such food would "never fly in the hood," because it was just too unsanitary. I agreed that one would never want to show up late for an injera "tablecloth" covered in wats. After only a few minutes of feasting, it would be impossible for a newcomer to overcome his disgust enough to partake.

Later, after I'd washed the dishes, I went out to water the garden. I was bit too overzealous with the hose, squirting the top of a wooden tower to water some seedlings I'd placed up there, forgetting that I'd put my telescope-based Raspberry Pi spybot down range of my squirting. The hose hadn't blasted the exposed circuit boards with much water, and after I cleaned up what water I did see, I powered it back up and was happy to see it working. But it didn't work for long. Within a few minutes it was dead and refusing to do anything but illuminate its red power light. I tried various techniques to dry any water remaining, but nothing seemed to work. I think some water had wicked between the processor and the memory chip, which are stacked on top of each other. I did eventually find a method to drive out whatever water was keeping it from working: I blasted it for a bit less than a minute with a heat gun, raising the temperature of most surfaces to "too hot to touch" but probably not above the boiling point of water.

Powerful and Neville with Gretchen behind tonight's Ethiopian feast.

For linking purposes this article's URL is:

previous | next